Scores of experienced public service workers have been frustrated in their attempts to qualify for loan cancellation under Public Service Loan Forgiveness. They were told they had the “wrong kind” of loans or that payments they made “didn’t count” towards the 120 qualifying payments required to earn forgiveness. On Oct. 6, 2021, the U.S. Department of Education announced a Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Limited Waiver Opportunity. For a limited time, restrictive requirements regarding loan type and repayment plan have been waived. Even if you were previously ineligible, you now may qualify for credit toward forgiveness for public service work done since 2007.
Hear from Heather Jarvis, attorney and student loan expert, for this briefing for borrowers and learn about:
* Expansion of eligible loan types
* Confirming whether your employment qualifies
* Determining whether you need to consolidate (or reconsolidate)
* Documenting your employment
* Planning for future rule changes